Reply by American Income Life

We appreciate you sharing your story. It's definitely a career that requires a lot of time and hard work. Every Office is unique and the culture of your workplace is greatly affected by your team. We're sorry you didn't enjoy your experience, but we will pass your feedback onto our Agency Division.
Author's
3.7K views

Update by user Jan 10, 2012

The environment seemed fun, yet very unprofessional.times out of 10 you are tricking the client with a way to get into there home using fee AD&D policies, child safety kits and a script.

Everything in that business from the recruiters on the phone to the agents in the field is a ridiculous script. The 3 Part interview=script. The manager=script. If you want to be treated about how lazy you are and how not dedicated you are because you want a day off for the birth of a child, or the death of a parent or because you are ill then work for Ail Ohio.

Eli does a great job at making you feel like *** because life happens. But I must say that Marcus is the ring leader.

Most of the management have no family or spouses.There is much better out there in the insurance industry, don\'t believe the hype of Ail and if you do and are lucky enough to work under Eli you wont last long due to his degrading personality and slave driver behavior.

Original review posted by user Jan 10, 2012

Im writing because I was recently employed with Ail.I got my start with posting a resume online and a recruiter with Ail contacted me.

I also did my homework and read all the bad reviews about Ail. I decided to follow through with a position as an agent in the Columbus Ohio office. This was a first time sales position for myself. I was miss led about the "paid training".

I paid for my online green light training background check as well as my state test and license, which came to about 350.00. I was told I would be reimburse after the 3rd wk out of training, which I was by 500.00, as long as you write 1100.00 in business each week for those 3 wks. I spent about a month in training with my GA whom coded me sales in which he in turn receives an override on plus a bonus. I did really well.

Yes it took some getting used to considering the 70 plus hours per week and a minimum of 6 days but when the holidays come up look out it is a 7 day mandatory week. So much for being a 1099 employee. I had to buy all supplies i.e, laptop, GPS, materials all "write offs" mind you. I averaged about 1500.00 per week in advances plus about 500.00 a week in bonuses.

Everything was gravy, except my marriage was falling apart and my children were upset that they never seen me. Then business started canceling for whatever reason i.e, the prospect was laid off, lost job, life happened it was then up to me to pay back what i was paid on. That is the crappy part and there is no controlling it. Not to mention everyone on our team hated our newly promoted MGA Eli.

This man cared for no one but himself. He talks to you like a child. Then there is the "bulldog". I was really brain washed to think it doesn't get better then this and that I had a great job.

I was promoted to Senior Agent. I now set appointments with union leads that are very much recycled, have 4-5 field days of a minimum of 32 appointments and now I'm recruiting random resume's that Ail pays for and have to set at least 30 interviews per week, plus train and build my own team and code business in there name. The call sheets for the resumes are literally names with phone #'s and where they came from, monster or career builder. They don't actually print up your resume and don't actually care who you are as long as you are not a 45plus yr old man or woman.

They only want the young people that are easily brainwashed. I put my resume' out there to see if Ail was as good as it gets and I found much better.

I would however like to thank Ail and Mr.Eli for opening my eyes with his degrading manner to seek employment elsewhere with a better W2 insurance company who pays an 80% commission on top of salary.

Had an Experience with American Income Life?

Comments

heathere
Boise, Idaho, United States #794892

I interviewed and I am older so can't be brain washed as easily.I doubted things all along and made comments.

While it is true, it is best to be face to face at a kitchen table to make a decision about life insurance, the trend is that consumers wan to make the decision on line with tools available there... AIL takes advantage of the blue collar workers who are lower income or less informed. They actually give less coverage for higher monthly premiums. These customers are so thankful to be able to get any insurance, especially after being told they "probably won't qualify"...another way they mislead consumers.

Yes, they use intimidation and fear tactics, they are unethical and thier product for insurance is inferior. Thier agents are overworked on straight commission and don't even know what they are actually selling. I asked too many questions and noticed too much was not right and was shown the door. They did me a favor...I am now working for several carriers to be able to give quotes from many to choose from, and my commission is at 90% AIL has you start at 40% running 60 to 70 hours a week.

If you agree to let yourself be run into the ground working 60 to 70 hours doing appointments all over the state, you might as well stay independent and get 90% commission instead.

Guess it depends on how naive you are!So glad I educated myself and got out of AIL as soon as I was licensed!

wghholtrad
to heathere #798728

You are correct, AIL has the worst agent contract in the industry.They also have the worst training which leads to the highest agent turnover in the industry and the worst policy retention in the industry.

None of these facts are disclosed during recruiting.

wow i'm so glad that i did some research on this company.my resume is set up for customer service call agent for inbound only.

i was very specific when i got a call from Dave Guzman in Columbus, Ohio. he asked if i was still seeking full time employment and i said and i quote, "yes i am, as long as it is not a sales position." a majority of the emails that i get are from recruiters that want people to scam people into buying stuff. i worked at teavana at easton mall and it was a great job but i was uncomfortable with trying to sell sell sell. i would rather have someone come in, know what they want, and then i ring them out.

i'm an extremely friendly, sweet, and HONEST person. that's why i couldn't be in sales. the guilt i feel when i am in a sales job messes with me on an emotional level. needless to say, i will not be going to my "business meeting" on thursday.

i have already been lied to and i didn't even have to go anywhere! if someone asks you if the job is a sales job, and you lie right to their face, i do NOT want to work for you.

so back to the job hunt i go!

BYE FELICIA!

THIS PLACE IS A SCAM!I HAVE REPORTED THEM TO THE OHIO DEPT.

OF INSURANCE. WHEN I WENT FOR MY FAKE INTERVIEW, PAT, ONE OF THEIR SO-CALLED EXECUTIVES ACTUALLY HAD THE GALL TO CALL ME OUT IN FRONT OF EVERYONE (40 PEOPLE WERE THERE) AND TOLD ME TO GO INTO HIS OFFICE AND HE SHUT THE DOOR BECAUSE HE COULD TELL I WAS ANNOYED. I THINK HE WAS AFRAID I WOULD BLOW THE WHISTLE ON THEM BECAUSE I SAW TOO MANY RED FLAGS. WHAT A POMPOUS *** TO THINK HE COULD INTIMIDATE ME!

I TOLD HIM THE COMPANY WAS WEIRD AND THERE WAS SOMETHING VERY SHADY ABOUT THEM. NEEDLESS TO SAY, I QUICKLY LEFT!

THAT'S AN HOUR OF MY LIFE I'LL NEVER GET BACK!

Elyria, Ohio, United States #782630

I had an even worse experience, was in college full time when i got the call 75,000.a year oh wow ok , no pay worst every management system full of intimidation, humiliation and misrepresentation.

I walked away from Ins. because of the time spent there.

no pay,

worked average of 70 hrs a week.my story is too long to list here my advice..RUN RUN

RUN FAST

And what company would that be?I am taking my license test again tomorrow then reporting to the office.

I am going to have a talk with them because I am counting on paid training.

After all I have put in my part.:eek

I work for AIL Traboulay (Out of London Ontario) and it is a *** job for the first 3-4 months, after which you make your own schedule.

As for the script, all sales are scripts. That car salesman that comes up and goes "We have this for X amount, or this for X amount cheaper" that is a script. McDonald's infamous "would you like fries with that" is a script.

Hazelton, West Virginia, United States #723917

Just got this email this morning looking for an agent in my area.Why would the CEO of a supposedly successful company be writing from a BS Human Resources account that lacks the company's own webpage as an @ extension?

That's initially what raised the red flags. I called the number and asked about the cost of training. Yup... $350.

That $175 weekly allowance twice- as another poster mentioned.

You all were a great help!Thanks!

Akron, Ohio, United States #703845

I used to work for AIL Cleveland, I did buy into all the smoke screens and even became #1 supervising agent, I had no life, other than AIL....I now run a team in health and life insurance , I make good money, only work a normal 40hrs a week, I have real leads from people who want to buy insurance, I have no scripts, no b.s, and no smoke screens or tricks....

please let me no if your looking to stay in insurance without having to buy leads or work the whole state!

I pick my zips and can change them daily....

offices throughout ohio...330-268-3393 let me know if I can help you. ,)

to done being lyed to Newark, Ohio, United States #726385

Any locations in central ohio

comments