Reply by American Income Life

We hear all of your feedback and appreciate your input.
Author's

I was also recruited to come in for a position as a Manager and Training supervisor. As I had recently been laid off from a dedicated job so that the managers there could get their Christmas bonus [yes, they even told me that] I was interested.

I have tried at least 5 calls to get more information regarding pay and other specifics with no success. You see, I was driving and had to pull over just to write the time and address. Now, after researching various sites that warn us all about these places, I feel like I was scammed. Fortunately, I have not put out any money nor additional time to follow their pipe dream.

Let me advise you that when the "supportive" comments are written, they always have spelling errors, and various other forms of inconsistency. This is generally done by people who only work for a company for that purpose: to offset the negative comments. Usually, the comments supporting this company (like other such comments) are ranting and confrontational. This should tip off the intelligent people to "consider the source".

God bless you all and good luck in your endeavors.

Comments

Thanks to everyone who posted their experience. I got a call this morning and although I took all the info and said I would come in for an interview, afterwards I got the feeling it would be a waste of my time.

For one thing the person I was speaking to sounded as if she was chewing gum and when I asked for the contact person when I arrive she said "one of the interviewers will see you"--Red Flag! Glad I have computer access for research and found out my intuition was right on point.

iOWA EXPERIENCE

Im not going to get into my whole story. I will tell you that you are a robot for this company.

They hire anyone who comes in. But try to make you feel important as if you were selected. "Did you apply, or did they call you saying "We recieved your resume from Careerbuilder"? They bought it from CAREERBUILDER".

You did not send it. Everything is scripted, and if you don't say what they want then your always reminded to stay on scipt or not work there. The Main Boss Eric Cochran (State Director) always makes sexual jokes, and rude comments towards Ryan who is a very pretty young gal. And he makes fun of people in front of others during meetings.

He will say he cares about you and your family then make you sound like an *** during a meeting with other agents. Spend all your money on gas only to waste your time. I did make money, averaged $400 week, but then people would cancel after words and i would get charged back what I was paid. So really I did'nt after a month.

I only stayed there for 3 months. Which was to long. They do have a good MGA "Manager" James. Wish I could have been on his team.

He actually care about his people and customers. But when hired you have no choice on this MLM Company. Ryan is rude, but look how Eric treats her. It's a law suite waiting to happen.

My advice STAY AWAY!!!! Go to Aflac, Combined Insurance, or HealthMarkets if you want to do small policies.

Im going back to the job I should have never left. Again STAY AWAY!!!!

I have been working for this company for about three months now and I don't have any complaints. Like all sales jobs it requires sacrifice and full time dedication, obtain and work your referrals well, etc..... As of now, putting 8 to 9 hrs a day, I am making a difference in my life, sorry for all of those who did not make it.

I was ready to work for them. I got my license--we were required to take an internet course run by someone supposedly independent, but he is at the minimum a former AIL agent, but the price was not out of line.

I never did get into the field however, even though I completed their agencies in house training class. My manager got sick, and I never made it to field training.

Training class lasted two weeks, and three weeks after that I still never made it into the field. During those three weeks, I had a lot of time to research the company and think about it. They finally made arrangements for my field training, but by this time, I was totally fed up with the whole company and admittedly no longer believed that I could sell this companies product. Not that the insurance is bad, but I became very negative about the entire sales end of it.

I didn't like what I was reading about them on the net, and I was very uncomfortable with their sales techniques, their method of getting through the consumers door.

On my "team", the agents were losing money, not making it, but then again, as with the vast majority of AIL agents, they were all new. We were being told to work 7 days a week, (60-70 hours minimum) and appointments are booked until 9:00 pm. (That is when your late appt is supposed to start, not end.) Don't be surprised if you don't get home until after midnight.

You are expected to make bonus, which sounds like an easy number to make, but it turns out this low sales number isn't that easy to make, at least here. It may well be better in a heavy union region. They brag about an agent making 2000 in sales doing well, but when you do the math, even he isn't doing well for the hours he is putting in.

I decided this was not for me.

I worked for AIL for 8 weeks and I can tell you first hand, everything bad you’ve read about them is true. They called me and fed me the same load of *** that they feed everyone, and FYI, the person calling you is not from HR, they are an agent that’s been there for a few weeks, it sounds like they’re reading from a script because they are. I know because I was told to call and recruit people, and they told me to lie and say I was in HR, a hiring manager, whatever I felt like saying. They’ll hire anyone with a pulse and don’t care how well you do because they don’t pay you. Although it’s funny, they tell you that you’re self-employed, you fill out a 1099, yet they treat you like an employee, telling you when to show up (7 days a week), how long to work(10-12 hours a day) and what to do (lie to people). The sad fact is, they actually don’t want you to do well, they want you to make a few sales and then leave because then they get all your residual earnings for the clients you’ve signed up.

When you start working they tell you that the average agent clears between $800-1200 a week. This is a lie. In the 8 weeks I was there I “made” $1550. That’s right, $1550 in 8 weeks, and I was the 2nd highest producer in our office of all the newly hired people! And no, the top new producer wasn’t on his way to making 6 figures, he made about $1200 his first month but was so stressed out (he was working about 85 hour weeks) that he broke down crying in my 6th week and I didn’t see him after that. It was sad too, in the beginning he was really driven, full of life and very charismatic, but after only 6 weeks, he looked like a zombie, he’d lost that exuberance that made him so great. I hope he got it back, but I’ll never know. The average agent there (that stayed long enough to have an average) made about $100 a week, most made less than that. Of course, once you figure in driving 2-300 miles a day, eating out since you’re never home and other costs, you’re actually losing money. I “made” about $1.20 an hour (wow!), but lost money due to all the expenses.

So why’d I stay? Simple, I had invested too much time and money to give up, I’ve been in sales before and understand that there’s a period of establishment where you expect not to make much money, but that’s why most companies, good companies anyway, pay you a salary for the first few months. Then again, good companies also want you to succeed. Looking back I cannot believe that I ever bought into their bulls%!t, but I was a recent college grad, desperate for a job (their favorite type of prey). In case being lied to and losing money isn’t enough to deter you, maybe this last bit will be. They tell you that all the people you see asked for the information you are presenting. This too, is a lie. The truth is, the clients you see asked for a free benefit available to them for being a member of their union. After you give them this, you then waste the next hour of their time trying to sell them an overpriced, low face valued policy. And here’s the real kicker: the free policy you give them, the reason they agreed to see you, is already in effect! You don’t do anything, they already have the policy. I figured this out the first time I went to my manager with all of the signed free policies and asked him what to do with them; he then took them out of my hand and threw them in the garbage, smiling at me. I’m not sure if he was smiling because he thought I’d think it was cool that I was getting into peoples houses on a lie, or because he was high. Oh yeah, 3 of the 7 managers (that I knew of) habitually came into the office stoned, sometimes so much so that I couldn’t even ask them any questions. But remember, they don’t care, they don’t want to help, they just want you to make a few sales and then get the *** out so they can live off your hard earned residual earnings.

In short, stay away from this company, you’ll be lied to, expected to lie, work 70 hour weeks and in the end, not make a penny, but you will lose money, so there’s that. Even if by some miracle you do make money, believe me you’ll barely be scraping by and you could make a lot more working for a real company that cares about its employees, not one that lies and blankets the community, calling anyone with a resume, telling you they’ve read it when they haven’t. Hey, if I’d actually read resumes (and no, you don’t have access to them), I’d have had a much better response when I called people and they asked: “Why are you calling me? I’ve been a nurse for the past 10 years.” Why am I calling you? Because I work for a company that lies from start to finish.

Man From Phoenix--

Yes you should go. Why not get the information for yourself? Ask questions. Do your homework. If its not for you then so be it.

All over these sites that rip on AIL there seems to be one main similarity. they're mostly written by agents that hated working there. I see very little from customers that are unsatisfied. AIL is not for everyone. It is difficult work but the payoff is exceptional. I have seen time an again, people with no sales history become very successful. All jobs are not for all people.

I just met with an insurance rep today. I think the business practices are very unprofessional to an informed consumer.

She explained that they only offer insurance to union employees. Yet she admitted they don't service our union at all. She went on with her spiel using our kids heavily to try to get us. We were told it was free life insurance for union employees just to find out that it is 50.00 a month.

I asked if we could have time to think about it (I wanted to research the company a bit since we never heard of them). She said no, we had to sign on the dotted line before she leaves. All she would do was step outside so my husband and I could discuss it. We both had a bad feeling about it.

She came back in and we told her we pass. She then asked for referrals to friends. She said even if they are commonfolk.

That got me real suspicious....since she stated earlier that they only supply insurance to union families. Don't invest your hard earned money to any company that will not give you time to think about it or that isn't really well known.

Pass on this job if your a college grad with a resume on careerbuilder.com or Monster.com. It's a waste of your time!!!!

They make money off the school. The charge you almost $1000 to get started with the home package to study to get your licence.

It is a rip-off!!! It is a requirement to have a life licence,but if you take the course on your own it is under $400. Obviously they are making money off this. That is why they hire so many people.

Most of these people don't even pass the exam let alone pass it and make it into the field. The person I know that worked there saw hundreds hired in the last eight months and of that only a very few passed the exam and were handed the *** script. Most of them only survive a few weeks and quit because they are given recycled leads that have been worked by several agents. The scrip is a joke and the person I know sold really well because she didn't follow the script.

Once she was approaching her one year anniversay they started getting nast and basically made her life miserable. They wanted her to leave a keep the renerwals on all her policies.

These F@#!@s and nasty and if you think you will be successful you are only kidding yourself. Only the top guys of this pyramid are rich.

Don't get pulled in and definately don't pay for their rip off school!! Get the licence on your own and work for a real company.

***UNBIASED, OBJECTIVE PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF AMERICAN INCOME LIFE***

First, let me state that they are not a scam - to either independent insurance agents or their customers.

I was offered a contract and accepted and stayed with the company for 2-3 weeks. I left because I get a better offer from another insurance company, and not to be snobbih - but clients who are more middle-to-high income.

The training I received was thorough as was the dedication of my manager to field train me. AIL serves a niche market - labor union members, credit union members, and the family members/friends they choose to refer.

Their products on the whole life side are pretty good and their term life products are middle road compared to other companies. They do have some products for seniors, especially ones that are sick that you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere.

Please note that their typical clients are not well-to-do by any stretch of the imagination. So focusing on having something for their final expenses is prudent and pretty much all that most can afford. That is not the fault of AIL, it's just what is. I met with folks that could not afford $30 a month, as well as some seniors who glady would pay $70 a month to ensure there funeral expenses could be covered.

The AIL opportunity like all commission positions is not for the faint of heart. The same types of complaints I see here - I saw as a real estate agent and loan officer who was strictly comissined based. In the world of commission based earnings, you get paid what your worth, unfortunately many people who try it are just not worth that much. It's different than having a paycheck handed to you for showing up - you got to earn your keep in the commission world. If you can't accept that, then DON'T get into commission sales.

Lastly, you can make a living there at AIL. I think it's a good step for someone who has not made a lot of money previously. If you have made six figures or close to it, in my opinion you'll want to deal with a higher caliber type of client.

That's my two cents!

Former AIL Agent

Dallas

OMG I am so glad that I found this website. I was just researching more about the company because I was going to call the hiring person back today to say I wanted a position. That seems like it would have been a big mistake based on all these negative reviews.

The thing is after interviewing with them twice, I got the feeling that they were very unorganized, unprofessional, low key, mom & pop kinda atmosphere.

My first interview went very well. I was impressed that I had to take a skills test right after. Taking the test made me think 'wow this must be a very professional place and they must be looking for specific qualified people to hire.' After the skills test, we had an hour long presentation about all the company. Of course they only showcased the best of the best and what they were able to accomplish by working at AIL. They highlighted the unlimited earning potential and emphasized that the sky is the limit. After the presentation, we were given a sheet that had about 5 questions to validate whether or not we were sold up to that point. It asked what we liked and didnt like about the company so far and whether or not we could see ourselves working there.

The second interview however was very pointless. At the end I was a little pissed that I had driven 20mins for a 5 minute conversation and 15 minutes of waiting. I'm not sure what his title was but maybe close to being a regional manager over a few offices. He talked with me like I said for 5 minutes, the next 15 minutes however was spent waiting on the guy who would be my supervisor to get his phone number in case I decided to accept their offer.

I hate to say I'm not very surprised by all the negative reviews that are on this site. The truth is the signs were obvious...I had just chosen to ignore them BUT only up to this point.

There's no way I can say yes to this job...I would rather remain unemployed!

Long Beach, CA Office

I was recruited by AIL about six weeks ago.I have paid for any licensing out of my own pocket,as I was told I would have to.I have paid all these fees directly to the schools and government agencys,not to AIL.So how can it be a scam for the company to make money?This company only makes money if you are successful.It took me about two weeks to get thru the classes I was required to take in the state of Illinios,and to take the license tests.Since then I have done everything they have told me to and I am making very good money.This job is not a 9 to 5 job and you are payed in commission,but I have not been working long hours,usually about 25-30 a week.I have no previous sales experience and I am working this as a second job.If things continue as they are ,this will be my ONLY job

Nikki what city do you do work in? Also how are the hours and the compensation?

I work for American Income in WI, and this is not how our organization works. I am sorry you guys had such bad luck with the company, but this company is a great place to work.

Plus not everyone who works with AIL are dumb, I personally consider myself very smart. For you to go on a website and tell others this company sucks just shows you yourself is very immature, and you couldn't handle a job like this anyways..

I just received a phone call from a Natasha that

said I requested info from a Jason through career

builder. Scheduled a interview only find out that

its not a regular 9 to 5 job.

Now I have this dilema, should I go and get ***

into a scam or should I focuse on the next item on

my to do list? -I am getting irritated of places like

This, American Income "KMA"

Sha Tin, Hong Kong, Hong Kong #101435

It is an employment scam here in southern California. AIL ran my credit card through for $645 to help my get licensed, $250 is an admin fee.

They write nonrefundable on the receipt and it shows up as Twilight Insurance, not AIL. They also jacked up the prices to attend Mike Russ insurance school. They are profitting from each new recruit they hire at AIL.

Plus you have to do all this work around the office and go along with managers to help them sell policies that they cherry pick from the good leads - all for no pay while you are in training. Then when you are ready to go out on your own, they give you a big stack of old, crappy leads and say this is all the leads you get, you are on your own now.

comments